Disable inherited checks?

Chris Beattie cbeattie at geninfo.com
Mon Feb 2 17:38:11 CET 2009

Sorry for the top-posting: I'm stuck with Outlook.

Have you tried templates?  We have ~550 hosts and ~4500 services, and
it'd be a real pain to not use templates.

I have a host template definition for Windows servers, which adds
anything assigned that template to a windows_servers host group.  I have
a bunch of services defined which are assigned to everything in the
windows_servers host group.  When I add a new Windows host, I put "use
prod_windows_server" in the host definition, and the host is
automatically assigned service checks for CPU, C drive, E drive, memory,
page file, running antivirus, and a couple others.  I have a similar
setup for development servers, but we don't let them send notifications
outside of work hours.

For servers needing extra checks, I just add the extra service checks to
the hosts that need them.  For the servers which aren't standard for our
environment (some predate the standardization push and have a D: instead
of an E: drive, for example), I put a !hostname in the appropriate
service check definition.