Disable inherited checks?

Keith Edmunds kae at midnighthax.com
Mon Feb 2 17:19:07 CET 2009

> You can disable inherited service checks for a host by putting an
> exclamation mark in front of the host name in the service definition.
> Look for "Excluding Hosts" in
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objecttricks.html.

Thanks Chris. The problem with that is that I need to list all hosts in
the service definition.

The problem I'm trying to solve is that we monitor around 70 nodes with
Nagios, and when we add a new monitor, we have to update all host files
and it's easy for some services to be missed on some nodes. To avoid that,
I'd rather set things up so that all hosts monitor all services except
where specifically excluded. In other words, everything on by default and
selectively turn off what is not needed; it seems that Nagios works by
having everything off by default and selectively turning things on. I can,
of course, put "host_name *" in the service definition, but then I need to
disable that service for some hosts. Hmm, thinking aloud, maybe I can do
"host_name *, !not_this_one, !or_this_one ...  I'll try that.

Thanks,
Keith