check_ssh and check_ping not working with NRPE on remote host

David Wallis wallis at aps.anl.gov
Tue Dec 8 18:56:47 CET 2009

ReynierPM wrote:
> Hi every:
> I've experimenting some problems when trying to use check_ssh and
> check_ping plugins. The configuration at remote server (where NRPE
> resides) is as follow:
>
> command[check_ssh]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ssh
> command[check_ping]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
>
> And then at server where .cfg resides the config is this one:
> define service{
>          use                             generic-service
>          host_name                       bacula-server
>          service_description             SSH
>          check_command                   check_nrpe!check_ssh
>          notifications_enabled           0
> }
>
> define service{
>          use                             generic-service
>          host_name                       bacula-server
>          service_description             PING
>          check_command                   check_nrpe!check_ping
> }
>
> The error for check_ping command is this:
> NRPE: Unable to read output
> and for check_ssh is this:
> check_ssh: Could not parse arguments
>
> What I'm doing wrong or what I'm not doing?

It's not clear why you're using check_nrpe for these two services...
that's probably not what you want to do.

Check_ssh and check_ping should be run on the Nagios server itself. And,
as another member pointed out, you've got the command line options
messed up for both service checks:

    Usage: check_ping -H <host_address> -w <wrta>,<wpl>% -c
    <crta>,<cpl>%  [-p packets] [-t timeout] [-4|-6]

    Usage: check_ssh [-46] [-t <timeout>] [-r <remote version>] [-p
    <port>] <host>

--
David Wallis
Information Technology