check_ssh and check_ping not working with NRPE on remote host

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Tue Dec 8 18:23:14 CET 2009

ReynierPM wrote:
> Hi every:
> I've experimenting some problems when trying to use check_ssh and
> check_ping plugins. The configuration at remote server (where NRPE
> resides) is as follow:
>
> command[check_ssh]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ssh
> command[check_ping]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_ping!100.0,20%!500.0,60%
>
> And then at server where .cfg resides the config is this one:
> define service{
>          use                             generic-service
>          host_name                       bacula-server
>          service_description             SSH
>          check_command                   check_nrpe!check_ssh
>          notifications_enabled           0
> }
>
> define service{
>          use                             generic-service
>          host_name                       bacula-server
>          service_description             PING
>          check_command                   check_nrpe!check_ping
> }
>
> The error for check_ping command is this:
> NRPE: Unable to read output
> and for check_ssh is this:
> check_ssh: Could not parse arguments
>
> What I'm doing wrong or what I'm not doing?

For check_ssh, you aren't passing any arguments, and it requires at
least a host:

[pmorris at sf3-bb6 ~]$ /opt/nagios/lib/plugins/check_ssh
check_ssh: Could not parse arguments
<host>

For check_ping, you're not passing the arguments correctly. The "!"
syntax only works in Nagios command definitions, and does not apply to NRPE.