NSCA strange behaviour

Cedric Jeanneret cedric.jeanneret at camptocamp.com
Tue Dec 8 18:19:02 CET 2009

Hello Marc,

Indeed, the "are fresh" comes from nagios.log. ok, done.

NSCA is running in daemon mode, iptables is opened for nsca port, and connections can go through it (tcpdump shows it to me, in both directions).

Setting "debug=1" in nsca.cfg seems to do nothing more in /var/log/messages (redhat server). I just see "down" hosts passing through (results for ... are stalled - forcing immedia check...).

I set up debug for nagios itself, but it really seems to be a problem at NSCA level.

Regards,

C.

On Tue, 8 Dec 2009 10:52:50 -0600
Marc Powell <marc at ena.com> wrote:

> On Dec 8, 2009, at 4:40 AM, Cedric Jeanneret wrote:
>
> > - Enbling debug for nsca on server01 doesn't show me anything interesting. I just don't see where nsca catch up client22 status, and it keeps on saying :
> > Warning: The results of host 'client22.domain.lt' are stale by 0d 0h 2m 0s (threshold=0d 0h 6m 0s).  I'm forcing an immediate check of the host.
> >
> > On another hand, it shows me:
> > [1260267958.216051] [016.1] [pid=23191] Check results for service 'Cron service' on host 'client22.domain.lt' are fresh.
>
> What do they show? What you've quoted here doesn't come from NSCA (that I can tell from a simple grep). --
>
> nsca-2.7.2]# grep -r 'are fresh' *
> nsca-2.7.2]#
>
> I'm sure that comes from nagios via nagios.log, not NSCA. Are you sure you're looking in the right place? It's typically in /var/log/messages.
>
> How are you running nsca? daemon mode or via inetd? If inetd, is inetd rejecting the connection?
>
> --
> Marc

Cédric Jeanneret                 |  System Administrator
021 619 10 32                    |  Camptocamp SA
cedric.jeanneret at camptocamp.com  |  PSE-A / EPFL