Nagios Start-up Failure

Wheeler, Jonathan (STFC,RAL,ESC) jonathan.wheeler at stfc.ac.uk
Fri Aug 28 09:14:40 CEST 2009

I have not been following this thread, but one reason that Nagios fails
at the very end of its start-up is if the command pipe file (ours is in
/var/log/nagios/rw/nagios.cmd - defined by parameter command_file in the
main Nagios configuration file) exists as a file rather than a pipe.  On
our installation this can occur during Nagios start-up as some of our
procedures, running from a cron job, write directly to the command pipe
and will create it as a standard file if it does not exist.  The
solution is to delete the file and restart the Nagios process.

Jonathan Wheeler
e-Science Centre
Rutherford Appleton Laboratory
--