Sending SNMP traps to a management host-netcool

Max perldork at webwizarddesign.com
Fri Aug 28 05:06:29 CEST 2009

Hi Scott,

On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 10:02 PM, Scott Xiao<Scott_Xiao at nec.com.sg> wrote:
> Hi, I am encounter some issue when I try  to snmp traps out to netcool.
> It even to output for local testing.
> I refer to the url below and tested.I cannot capture anything with
> tcpdump as below ,when I run a test command for snmp. Can you advise
> what I missing?thanks !
>

> [root at nagios sbin]# snmptrap -v 1 -c public localhost '' localhost 6 1
> ''

snmptrapd is the trap receiver part of the Net-SNMP package; I
recommend you take a moment to read the manual page for it and for
snmptrapd.conf; it has a number of options that will tell it to log
traps so you can use snmptrap to then send traps to localhost and view
the contents in snmptrapd to verify  / test etc.

snmptrapd has an init script named snmptrapd :).

Regards,
Max