Nagios Crashes after host exits from flexible downtime

Daniel Szmandiuk DSzmandi at imc.net.au
Fri Aug 28 04:23:27 CEST 2009

Running Nagios 3.0.6 with DNX.

We are finding that Nagios often crashes after a host exists out of a scheduled flexible downtime period.

The logs typically look like this:
<Everything looks normal>
[2009-08-28 03:04:32] HOST DOWNTIME ALERT: host_xyz;STOPPED; Host has exited from a period of scheduled downtime
<Nagios service now stops silently....>

<We now start it back up manually>

[2009-08-28 03:13:35] Nagios 3.0.6 starting... (PID=13057)

Our investigation has shown that every (similar) crash that we have experienced has happened when the downtime type was set as flexible for the host. Fixed downtimes appear to be ok.

We are now avoiding flexible and using fixed for now. Will let you all know if this workaround solves our problem.

Has anyone else seen this before?
If this a known bug?  (or a new one?)

Thanks,

Daniel