[Nagiosplug-help] Regarding Reports in Nagios

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Aug 26 16:17:00 CEST 2009

On Aug 26, 2009, at 7:37 AM, Saiprasad @ Yahoo wrote:

> From: Marc Powell <marc at ena.com>

> The event duration is simply the time between log entries related to
> that host/service.
> So does this mean that the hours that are shown in Event Duration
> are the only entries for a particular host

Yes.

> and is it that only for that many hours I get the data ?

No.

For the Service Log Entries section of the Availability report, nagios
is just displaying all log entries related to that host/service that
it finds. It's providing that information, and the duration between
pairs of entries, in the event that information is useful to you and
to provide you with the context for the Service State Breakdowns
displayed above that section. The Service State Breakdowns section of
the Availability report *is* aware of states and duration between
states, not just log entries.  If nagios sees consecutive log entries
with the same state, it knows that the service was in that state for
the entire duration. For example, with log entries of --

1:00 OK
2:00 CRITICAL
3:33 CRITICAL
4:00 OK
5:10 OK
6:00 CRITICAL

Nagios would correctly report that the service was OK for 3 hours and
CRITICAL for 2+ hours (ongoing) in the Service State Breakdowns
section of the report.

> I am not too sure with your above comments.

Then you're probably not in a position to provide, and explain, the
individual log entries to your manager. He shouldn't need or care
about them though...

> The only thing that I need to furnish to my manager is to let him
> know the exact Availability of a particular service or host for a
> particular month, etc. Is this possible and if yes how ?

Yes, certainly. Provide him with the information from the Service
State Breakdowns section of a specific service availability report or
run the general Availability report for all services available from
the main menu.

--
Marc