[Nagiosplug-help] Regarding Reports in Nagios

Saiprasad @ Yahoo saims26 at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 26 14:37:09 CEST 2009

Marc,

Thanks for the reply.

Please find my response embedded.

Regards,
Saiprasad

________________________________

From: Marc Powell <marc at ena.com>
To: Nagios Plugin Help List <nagiosplug-help at lists.sourceforge.net>
Sent: Wednesday, 26 August, 2009 5:50:17 PM
Subject: Re: [Nagiosplug-help] Regarding Reports in Nagios

So does this mean that the hours that are shown in Event Duration are the only entries for a particular host and is it that only for that many hours I get the data ?

> Can someone please throw some light on this, as this is very serious
> for me and does not give me an accurate data.

The summary data above this section is 'accurate'. The entries you
note are points at which you are restarting nagios I expect and you
have log_initial_states enabled in nagios.cfg.

When generating this list, nagios looks through nagios.log (or the
archives) for any entries matching the host/service, calculates the
times between them and displays them. The state does not factor into
this particular calculation. There are features of nagios where that
wouldn't be desired (state stalking, for example).

Nagios does not normally log OK states unless it is a recovery from an
outage so under 'normal' circumstances, the breakout list would be
more like what you are expecting. Turn off 'log_initial_states' to do
that.

I am not too sure with your above comments. The only thing that I need to furnish to my manager is to let him know the exact Availability of a particular service or host for a particular month, etc. Is this possible and if yes how ? I am using Nagios Version 3.0.3 on Linux.
--
Marc

p.s. This question is more relevant on nagios-users than here...
I have posted the same now on nagios-users.

On Aug 26, 2009, at 6:49 AM, Saiprasad @ Yahoo wrote:

> I am generating an Availability report in Nagios but the output is
> something weired wherein the Event Duration does not give the data
> of all 24 hrs. I think the attached JPG will make my question more
> clear.

The event duration is simply the time between log entries related to
that host/service.

      Love Cricket? Check out live scores, photos, video highlights and more. Click here http://cricket.yahoo.com