dhcp new lease notification

Mon Aug 24 14:24:16 CEST 2009

You can certainly do that, but you'll probably have to write your own
plugin to do it. It's not something that would work generically; you
will need to somehow tap into the specific DHCP server you are using. So
the plugin will have to be tailored for the Windows DHCP server, or one
of the ones for the Linux.

There are quite a few ways to do this:

If your DHCP server also updates a DNS server, it may be easier to
instead enumerate all IP addresses in DNS (use host -l <domainname>),
and compare that with a previous version of the same file. That is of
course not completely reliable.

Or if you are using the Linux ISC DHCP server, your plugin could go
through /var/lib/dhcp/db/dhcpd.leases and alert you to any leases newer
than, say, 5 minutes. Keep in mind that this will alert you of renewals
as well.