CGI Access Errors All Over The Place

Matt Baer matt at baerconsult.com
Sun Aug 23 10:35:12 CEST 2009

Hi, I recently installed Nagios and am currently working through it host by host. One error keeps popping up that I cannot seem to get rid of and nothing on the mailing lists, forums, or Google can help me. When attempting to look at a flapping service (for example), I get this error message:

It appears as though you do not have permission to view information for this service...
If you believe this is an error, check the HTTP server authentication requirements for accessing this CGI
and check the authorization options in your CGI configuration file.

I've gotten it many times before, but seem to have gotten those resolved...or I can't replicate them, but this one is current. My set up is a bit unique. My physical_html_path as defined in cgi.cfg is /usr/share/nagios3/htdocs. I cleared up some of those errors by using 'chown nagios.nagios *' while in the directory. Obviously, the user and group are both "nagios", however, the username I log in with is 'nagiosadmin'. I do not see an .htaccess file in there and I have checked the htpasswd.users file and it contains only one entry for nagiosadmin. Am I missing something or is it sitting there punching me in the face?