Setting up un-authenticated users

Kevin Freels kfreels at sendmail.com
Fri Aug 21 18:09:48 CEST 2009

Greetings!

Errata: nagios-3.1.2, FC 11, Apache 2.2.11

I am migrating our Nagios server from one box to another. In the
process, I changed O/S platforms and upgraded to the latest/greatest
version of Nagios. I was able to copy all my configs to the new box, and
(with a couple minor hiccups) have the system up and monitoring.

On the old box, I was able to disable notifications and such without
authentication. I believe the user was "guest", but it never was an
issue; it never prompted me for a password, nor do I remember setting
one up for any account related to Nagios (nagiosadmin, etc) when I
upgraded the old system from Nagios 2 to Nagios 3.x last time. I also
have not done so this time.

In my nagios.conf file for apache, I commented out the "Require
valid-user" directives:

ScriptAlias /nagios/cgi-bin "/usr/local/nagios/sbin"
Alias /nagios "/usr/local/nagios/share"
<Directory "/usr/local/nagios/sbin">
#  SSLRequireSSL
   Options ExecCGI
   AllowOverride None
   Order allow,deny
   Allow from all
#  Order deny,allow
#  Deny from all
#  Allow from 127.0.0.1
   AuthName "Nagios Access"
   AuthType Basic
   AuthUserFile /usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users
#  Require valid-user
</Directory>
<Directory "/usr/local/nagios/share">
#  SSLRequireSSL
   Options None
   AllowOverride None
   Order allow,deny
   Allow from all
#  Order deny,allow
#  Deny from all
#  Allow from 127.0.0.1
   AuthName "Nagios Access"
   AuthType Basic
   AuthUserFile /usr/local/nagios/etc/htpasswd.users
#  Require valid-user
</Directory>

So, when I click on anything that would change monitoring specs, I get
the "I can't let you do that, Dave" warning and it just refers back to
how to increase security. It also mentions that whoever (Jesse?) doesn't
want to be held responsible. I *PROMISE* I won't hold anyone else
responsible!

I understand the risks, but I am not concerned that anyone will muck
around and disable the monitors. Actually, no one cares. I looked
through the documentation and saw a lot of how to beef up security and
CGI authentication, but nothing on how to disable it. I tried setting
"use_authentication=0" in the cgi.cfg, but that didn't affect the
authentication requirements for the CGI.

Suggestions? There must be a way to do this....

As always, grateful for the help.

....kevin
-=-=-=-=-