Understanding Check Load

Ryan Bowlby rbowlby83 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 20 19:04:20 CEST 2009

----- Original Message ----

load average: 3.99, 4.56, 7.60

3.99 is the load on the server for the past 1 minute
4.56 past 5 minutes
7.60 past 15 minutes

-w 15,10,5

Warn me if load is < 15 for the past minute
or < 10 for the past 5 minutes
or < 5 for the past 15 minutes

In this case the load is < 5 for the past 15 minutes.

Load is relative to a servers hardware including # of CPUs. So if you trust your server guy then you might want to adjust the check_load thresholds.

-w 20,15,10      - This would stop the flapping.

Or if you don't trust them you might want to cat /proc/cpuinfo, check service response times and otherwise verify they aren't overloading the server. ;)