Understanding Check Load

Terry td3201 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 20 19:02:20 CEST 2009

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 11:54 AM, Terry<td3201 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 11:33 AM,
> craig at hooters-uk.com<craig at hooters-uk.com> wrote:
>> Hi Group, I hope you can give me a better
>> understanding of the check_load command as I'm unsure
>> what my settings should be aligned to, if you take a
>> look at the below command line I get Warning and
>> Critical alerts all the time and I'm not sure what to
>> alter the figure to as I do not understand them at
>> the minute.
>>
>> command[check_load]=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_load
>> -w 15,10,5 -c 30,25,20
>>
>> The above line give: WARNING - load average: 3.99,
>> 4.56, 7.60
>>
>> Looking at the warning and given the fact that the
>> server guys says that his server is running OK, what
>> would be the ideal -w and -c be to use.
>>
>> I will try and read up on the above but just looking
>> for help now on this one server.
>>
>> Many thanks
>>
>> Craig
>>

> Run cat /proc/cpuinfo and put that in here.

Sorry, missed a number.  I think it is generating a warning because
your 15 minute average is above the level you wish to be warned at.
7.60 > 5.  Which you are already guessing.

My original thought was you should consider using the -r option which
may offer a more realistic number by which you can compare the user
experience to.    Check out /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_load
--help for a detailed description of that option.  A load average of
15 is pretty insane by my experience.  Use the -r option and then go
from there.