nagios host dependencies (strange) issue--it does not works as expected

Arlen Drina arlytex at gmail.com
Wed Aug 19 11:46:20 CEST 2009

Hi Marc,

thank you for mail. I do not understand if I have in dependencies.cfg

define hostdependency{

	host_name			FIREWALL
	dependent_host_name		SERVER
	notification_failure_criteria   d,u
	}
and nagios does not report any problem when restarted ( what means
conf. is correct )
and if I push FIREWALL host to be DOWN - and this state is correcly
stated via nagios
web interface, why host SERVER is still up and " green". I expect if
FIREWALL is down
that means all hosts depndent on it should be represented different
that OK ( down, unrechable... )

In nagios.cfg I have enabled

enable_predictive_host_dependency_checks=1
enable_predictive_service_dependency_checks=1

The same I have when I set up ( commneting above hostdependency )
in dependencies.cfg

define servicedependency{
	host_name			FIREWALL
	service_description		PING
	dependent_host_name		SERVER
	dependent_service_description	Remote Desktop
	execution_failure_criteria	w,c,u
	notification_failure_criteria	c,w,u
}

 and then disable ping to FIREWALL, Remote Desktop service on SERVER
is still UP, nothing is changed

Any comment is welcome

Thank you in advance,

Nice regards,