nagios host dependencies (strange) issue--it does not works as expected

arly arly arlytex at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 20:25:54 CEST 2009

Hi Mark,

thank you for mail and link you sent me.

2009/8/18 Marc Powell <marc at ena.com>:

> On Aug 18, 2009, at 9:15 AM, arly arly wrote:
>
>> I am monitoring firewall too, and I am just checking PING to it and
>> rount trip time
>>
>> with
>>
>> define service{
>>       use                     test
>>        host_name              firewall
>>       service_description     PING
>>       check_command           check_ping!200.0,40%!400.0,50%
>> }
>
> This is a service check. You probably want to set this check_command
> as the host's check_command.

I tested it, I have configuration
check_command           check_ping_mine

and command is defined as

define command{
        command_name    check_ping_mine
        command_line    /usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_ping -H
'$HOSTADDRESS$' -w 20.0,40% -c 40.0,50%
        }

For me is confusing, if I change timers in above command or disable it
and pust host into DOWN state, isn't is enough for
nagios to recognize faulty state and based on that send alarm and stop
monitor hosts which are behind firewall

>> define hostdependency{
>>       host_name                       firewall
>>       dependent_host_name     host_behind_firewall
>>       notification_failure_criteria   d
>>       }
>
> Host dependencies depend on the host check, not an arbitrary service
> check on that host.
>
>> with this I want to stop checkig ( and get just one notification about
>> failure ) of host(s) behind firewal in case it is not possible to
>> ping firewall .
>>
>> Then I blocked ping on firewall and it showed as DOWN via nagios web,
>> but still I am getting correct information about
>> "host behind firewall",
>
> Did the *host* status change to critical or just the service status?

Host status changed, when I browse it over web " host detail ---> host " it is
represented as DOWN.
> The host's check_command must return a non-OK result for the host
> dependency to even trigger. It makes no difference what the status of
> any service on that host is if the host is still shown to be OK.

I understand, but host is represented as DOWN, and I thought it will
be easy to set up :) this check

> You probably don't want host dependencies at all anyway. It sounds
> like the parents directive in the dependent host definitions meets
> your needs and is much simpler to use.
>
> http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/networkreachability.html
>
> --
> Marc