Preventing "plugin timed out while executing system call" notifications?

Grant Sewell nagios at thymox.co.uk
Thu Aug 13 13:06:48 CEST 2009

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 10:36:08 -0700
Morris, Patrick wrote:

> > Hi all,
> >
> > Nagios 3.0.6 (current default on Debian Lenny).
> >
> > We have a number of activities that will periodically trash our
> > network bandwidth, thus causing all of our external checks to
> > fail.  Now, although I am quite happy to be notified if a service
> > genuinely goes down, I would really rather not be notified if a
> > plugin times out.
> >
> > Is there any way to specifically prevent Nagios from sending plugin
> > time out notifications but still send all others?
>
> If this is a bandwidth issue, the easy solution would have those
> checks which will fail if bandwidth isn't available dependent on some
> check that looks to see if bandwidth is available.  That way, you
> only get one notification that your bandwidth is hosed, rather than a
> whole bunch of them for everything that breaks when it happens.

Thank you for the suggestion, Patrick.  As it happens, I think I may
have a solution already.  I modified the
"send_service_notification_by_email" command so it checks for "plugin
timeout" and only sends the notification if it fails this check (ie the
details don't contain "plugin timeout").  Maybe not the most elegant
solution, but it seems to have worked. :D

Cheers.
Grant.