Preventing "plugin timed out while executing system call" notifications?

Morris, Patrick patrick.morris at hp.com
Wed Aug 12 19:36:08 CEST 2009

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009, Grant Sewell wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Nagios 3.0.6 (current default on Debian Lenny).
>
> We have a number of activities that will periodically trash our network
> bandwidth, thus causing all of our external checks to fail.  Now,
> although I am quite happy to be notified if a service genuinely goes
> down, I would really rather not be notified if a plugin times out.
>
> Is there any way to specifically prevent Nagios from sending plugin
> time out notifications but still send all others?

If this is a bandwidth issue, the easy solution would have those checks
which will fail if bandwidth isn't available dependent on some check
that looks to see if bandwidth is available.  That way, you only get one
notification that your bandwidth is hosed, rather than a whole bunch of
them for everything that breaks when it happens.