NDOUtils mysql question?

Andrew Davis nccomp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 7 23:10:23 CEST 2009

My apologies... didn't mean to come across as rude. I figured that
others may have tools like Cacti along with NDOutils on the same server
and thus might find that they have multiple database types as well...
hence my email to the Nagios list instead of the mysql list. In my case,
I learned the hard way that mysqlhotcopy doesn't backup InnoDB
databases... hence my need to determine the DB type so I knew how to
properly backup the various DB's.

In any case, your original reply pointed me in the right direction. I
just wrote up the script below. It first shows all the databases, then
determines the database type for each, making it easy to parse out:

#!/bin/bash

DATABASES=`mysql -uroot -p<password> -e "show databases;"|awk -F "|"
'{print $1}'|grep -vE "Database|information_schema|test|nagdb"`

for x in $DATABASES
do
    DATABASE_TYPE=`mysql -uroot -p<password> -e "show table status;"
$x|awk '{print $2}'|uniq|grep -v Engine`
    echo $x:$DATABASE_TYPE
done

exit 0

Of course, I've also learned its possible to mix engines within a
database, so this isn't exactly foolproof. The output looks something
like this:

# /root/test.sh
cacti:MyISAM
mysql:MyISAM
nagios:InnoDB

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction...

  A. Davis
  Email:     nccomp at gmail.com

  "There is no limit to what a man can accomplish
   if he doesn't care who gets the credit." - Ronald Reagan