NDOUtils mysql question?

David Rosenstrauch darose at darose.net
Fri Aug 7 22:05:03 CEST 2009

On 08/07/2009 03:03 PM, Andrew Davis wrote:
> Our Nagios server also has Cacti on it. I'm pretty sure that Cacti uses
> an InnoDB database, while NDOUtils uses myISAM. The two are backed up
> differently (example: mysqlhotcopy doesn't working on InnoDB databases).
> Does anyone know what mysql command you run to determine which type of
> DB is used for various databases, especially considering you can run
> multiple types at once? I know I can use "mysqlshow" or the "show
> databases;" options to show the databases themselves, but it doesn't
> list the DB type. Using mysqlshow with a -t and a DB name shows the
> table types, but again, not the database types. I'm sort of stuck on
> this. I want to make sure I know what DB types I'm dealing with so I can
> ensure I'm backing them up properly. Google searches aren't helping...
> the results all go back to the "mysql versus innodb" debate...

I think the engine type is set on a table by table basis, not database-wide.

You can see this as follows:

mysql> show create table mysql.time_zone\G
        Table: time_zone
Create Table: CREATE TABLE `time_zone` (
   `Time_zone_id` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
   `Use_leap_seconds` enum('Y','N') NOT NULL default 'N',
   PRIMARY KEY  (`Time_zone_id`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM DEFAULT CHARSET=utf8 COMMENT='Time zones'
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

Note the "ENGINE=MyISAM" at the end.

HTH,

DR