Private Addreses

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Wed Apr 29 18:20:55 CEST 2009

2009/4/29 craig at hooters-uk.com <craig at hooters-uk.com>:
> Hi all, just a query this time on how I would achieve the following.
>
> We have an site that needs monitoring which has a broadband connection with a single IP address
> and 4 servers sitting behind it, 1 running Web, 1 running Mail and 1 running FTP, the other is a
> file and print server all Centos boxes.
>
> The firewall has port forwarding for each of the Servers that have web, mail and ftp but the file
> server is on a private IP address.
>
> I know I can monitor the web, mail and FTP because of the port forwarding but how do I go about
> monitoring the services that I normally check with the nrpe command, do I need to put in a Nagios
> server on site, let that do all the checking and then send the results on?
>
> Any guidance would be great, if you can point me to a site/book or other information that I could
> look at that would be great, the problem I have at the minute is looking for the correct phrase to
> put into Google to get the right results.
>
> Thanks
>
> Craig

So long as these servers can connect to your Nagios server, you could
configure the checks in cron on the remote servers and have them send
results back to Nagios using nsca.  See
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/passivechecks.html and
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/addons.html#nsca

You could install Nagios on one of those servers to do the job for
you, but you'd still use nsca to make the connection back to your main
Nagios server.

If you're after a book, I can highly recommend "Nagios" by Wolfgang
Barth.  It's available in print or .pdf form (or both) from the
publisher No Starch Press:

http://nostarch.com/nagios_2e.htm

hth,

Jim