Automatic discovery through Nmap with Nmap3Nagios

"Mikko A.T. Pervilä" pervila at cs.helsinki.fi
Tue Apr 28 15:04:59 CEST 2009

   Greetings to all,

   I'm doing research in the reliability of diverse networked systems.
In order to collect data, I've been automatically discovering and
following services in medium- to large-sized network environments. The
Nagios' FAQ entry that advices against automatic discovery is well
known, but my argument is that in less than ideal circumstances,
services may become lost to system administrators. Thus, there seems to
be some need for automatical discovery.

   Initially I've extended the Nmap2Nagios-ng tool to allow services to
be set up differently depending on the protocol and port they listen to.
Later on I just rewrote the Nmap3Nagios (N3N) tool from scratch. N3N's
major benefit is its extendability, i.e., it is aimed to catch even the
less common situations. N3N provides a user-space tool that can be run
by the admin against his own Nmap results file. In contrast to Lilac's
automatical discovery, the results file may be provided by other means
than allowing the http daemon to run Nmap (security restrictions may
prevent this).

   N3N is written in Ruby and requires the LibXml Ruby parser. The
program logic is implemented as a module and free for use by tools other
than the one provided. N3N is released under GPLv3.

   Naturally, for N3N to become more polished I need some input from
other users. Therefore, you are all welcome to play with the tool and
send feature requests and bug reports either as replies or directly to
me. I hope that most of the tool's options are self-explanatory; the
included README file contains some in-depth discussion on what's going
on inside the code.

http://www.cs.helsinki.fi/u/pervila/Nmap3Nagios/

   Best regards,
   - Pervilä