Doubt about email notifications

Daniel Bareiro daniel-listas at gmx.net
Tue Apr 28 04:58:27 CEST 2009

On Sunday, 26 April 2009 23:24:37 -0300,
Daniel Bareiro wrote:

> On Sunday, 19 April 2009 22:02:44 -0300,
> Daniel Bareiro wrote:

> > > yes, I believe an escalation would do for this. I haven't done this
> > > but I expect you could set your first notification to the number of
> > > the last notification you want to receive (i.e. 3 for the third
> > > notification) and your last notification to some high number (99).
> > > Create a contact with a notification period of 'none' and set it as
> > > the contact for the escalation.

> > It seems a good idea :-) I am going to try it and any doubt I will
> > consult you again.

> With a little more of time, I was reading about escalations and, to
> where I could see, these are created by host and services. Unless there
> is a general form to define the escalations, I don't believe that it is
> practical considering that I have 291 services and 58 hosts.

Apparently wilcards for the names of services can be used [1] although I
am not sure if also it is possible to be done for the hostnames. Will
wildcards (or .*) be valid with Nagios 3.0.6?

These are the definitions that I was thinking to use:

define hostescalation{
  host_name                     *
  first_notification            1
  last_notification             3
  escalation_period             none
  notification_interval         60
  contact_groups                admins
}

define hostescalation{
  host_name                     *
  first_notification            4
  last_notification             0
  escalation_period             none
  notification_interval         60
  contact_groups                admins
}

define serviceescalation{
  hostgroup_name
linux-servers,solaris-servers,windows-servers
  service_description           *
  first_notification            1
  last_notification             3
  notification_interval         60
  contact_groups                admins
}

define serviceescalation{
  hostgroup_name
linux-servers,solaris-servers,windows-servers
  service_description           *
  first_notification            4
  last_notification             0
  escalation_period             none
  notification_interval         60
  contact_groups                admins
}

Regards,
Daniel

[1] http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-server-73/advanced-notifications-with-nagios-690896/
--
Fingerprint: BFB3 08D6 B4D1 31B2 72B9  29CE 6696 BF1B 14E6 1D37