HTTP server authentication requirements for accessing this CGI.

Jimmyboy jimmyjose2980 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 27 10:17:35 CEST 2009

Hi Shahid & Ankush,

Thanks for your replies. But, I guess, these directives are not meant for
Nagios on Ubuntu (if one follows the Quickstart Guide). For Ubuntu, the path
is "/usr/local/nagios/share". Moreover, I do not have a 'nagios' directory
under "/usr/lib/".

*New observation*:
If the cgi.cfg file is edited to enable 'default_user=nagiosadmin', then I
can access the Process Info screen, etc. However, I if try stopping or
restarting the nagios service from within the Process Info screen, it errors
out stating this:

=-=-=-=
Error: Could not open command file '/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd' for
update!
The permissions on the external command file and/or directory may be
incorrect. Read the FAQs on how to setup proper permissions.
An error occured while attempting to commit your command for processing.
*Return from whence you came*
=-=-=-=

So, I think it has to do something with authentication.

Thanks,
Jim

=-=-=-=-=-=-=
On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 8:28 PM, shadih rahman <shadhin71 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Jimmy,
>      Try the following and this should take care of it.  Thanks
>

> ScriptAlias /nagios/cgi-bin "/usr/lib/nagios/cgi"
>

> Alias /nagios "/usr/share/nagios"
>
> <Directory "/usr/share/nagios">
> #  SSLRequireSSL
>   Options None
>   AllowOverride None
>   Order allow,deny
>   Allow from all
> #  Order deny,allow
> #  Deny from all
> #  Allow from 127.0.0.1
>   AuthName "Nagios Access"
>   AuthType Basic
>   AuthUserFile /etc/nagios/htpasswd.users
>   Require valid-user
> </Directory>
>

>   On Sun, Apr 26, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Jimmyboy <jimmyjose2980 at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi Ankush,
>>
>> This is already done, but still the issue exists.
>> The only difference is the username nagiosadmin as in my case.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Jim
>>
>>   On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 4:11 PM, ankush grover <grover1711 at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Jimmy,
>>>
>>> You need to enable authentication in cgi.cfg.
>>>
>>> use_authentication=1
>>>
>>> authorized_for_all_host_commands=admin
>>> authorized_for_all_hosts=admin
>>> authorized_for_all_service_commands=admin
>>> authorized_for_all_services=admin
>>> authorized_for_configuration_information=admin
>>> authorized_for_system_commands=admin