Just installed Nagios - NRPE issue

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Tue Apr 21 18:38:16 CEST 2009

2009/4/21 Gabriel - IP Guys <Gabriel at impactteachers.com>:
> Dear All,
>

> Thank you for taking the time to read this. I’ve just install Nagios 3.0.6
> on one of my collocated boxes. Quick question, do I need to configure NRPE
> on the main Nagios box as well? Or will the current running Nagios process
> gather the information locally?

Normally you would just run the ordinary plugins locally on the main
Nagios server.  You could run nrpe on the local server too if you want
to - it would certainly help you to make sure that all of your checks
work in exactly the same way.  It's not quite so efficient, but if you
don't have too many local checks it's not going to worry you.

> To be honest, I’d like to configured NRPE on one box, and then copy the
> configuration over to all the other servers. Is this the best way to go?

Yes, it's a good idea to have a standard configuration you can copy to
all similar servers.  I put my standard configs in an FTP directory on
my Nagios server so I can just download and extract a tarball or two
whenever I set up a new server.

Cheers,

Jim