how to let nagios think host is online

Alejandro Sánchez Meroño alejandro.sanchez at ite.es
Wed Apr 15 17:02:19 CEST 2009

Hello,

I created an "Always_OK" command for these hosts I couldn't ping and appeared in red even when all their services were green (i.e., check-host-alive does not work). I decided that if all the services are on, it's because the host is on...

define host {
    use                        linux-server
    host_name             myhost
    alias                      My host that can't stand pings
    address                 my.host.ip.address
    check_command    check_ok
}

And, in commands.cfg:

define command {
    command_name    check_ok
    command_line       $USER1$/check_dummy 0 OK
}

Hope this helps...

Best regards,

           Alejandro

==
Alejandro Sanchez Merono
Area de Informatica y Comunicaciones
Instituto de Tecnologia Electrica - http://www.ite.es
Valencia - Spain

Hi all,
I have one host need to be monitoring, but it is not allow ping. So the nagios plug-in check_ping can not work. Host line in the web page is red. How can I let nagios think it is OK?
I checked the manual, about host definition, check_command

This directive is used to specify the short name of the command that should be used to check if the host is up or down. Typically, this command would try and ping the host to see if it is "alive". The command must return a status of OK (0) or Nagios will assume the host is down. If you leave this argument blank, the host will not be actively checked. Thus, Nagios will likely always assume the host is up (it may show up as being in a "PENDING" state in the web interface). This is useful if you are monitoring printers or other devices that are frequently turned off. The maximum amount of time that the notification command can run is controlled by the host_check_timeout option.

sorry, I don't understand what should I do. Please advice me.

Thanks a lot!

--
---
Mika Chu