how to let nagios think host is online

Lei Chen cloved at gmail.com
Mon Apr 13 11:05:18 CEST 2009

You can use other  check_command instead of  check_ping.
Such as check_tcp, check_http or other.

For example:
This is a router, not permmit ping, but it's port 23 is open.

define host{
        use             generic-switch          ; Inherit default
values from a template
        host_name       qz-gw
        alias           qz-gw
        address         x.x.x.x
        parents         sjhl-gw
        icon_image      switch.gif
        icon_image_alt  Switch
        vrml_image      switch.gif
        statusmap_image switch.gd2
        hostgroups      gws
        check_command   check_tcp!23
        }

2009/4/13 Mika Chu <ledondo2000 at gmail.com>:
> Hi all,
> I have one host need to be monitoring, but it is not allow ping. So the
> nagios plug-in check_ping can not work. Host line in the web page is red.
> How can I let nagios think it is OK?
> I checked the manual, about host definition, check_command
>
> This directive is used to specify the short name of the command that should
> be used to check if the host is up or down. Typically, this command would
> try and ping the host to see if it is "alive". The command must return a
> status of OK (0) or Nagios will assume the host is down. If you leave this
> argument blank, the host will not be actively checked. Thus, Nagios will
> likely always assume the host is up (it may show up as being in a "PENDING"
> state in the web interface). This is useful if you are monitoring printers
> or other devices that are frequently turned off. The maximum amount of time
> that the notification command can run is controlled by the
> host_check_timeout option.
>
> sorry, I don't understand what should I do. Please advice me.
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> --
> ---
> Mika Chu