OS Change Management Auditing using Nagios?

Wed Apr 15 14:45:03 CEST 2009

I am not using Nagios for that purpose, but rather Open-Audit. I believe
there is a way to have changes in OA propagate to Nagios.

Another tool you may want to look into is tripwire; it generates exactly
the logs based on changes that you were looking for. Then use the
check_log plugin to monitor the tripwire log file.

The biggest concern with this type of tool that I would have is that
monitoring OS changes is very labor-intensive. For me, to the point of
impracticality. The problem is the sheer volume of patches that come out
on a regular basis makes it all but impossible to keep up with. You'd
have to look at every single patch and find out which files it changes
before you have a way of knowing whether a particular tripwire alert is
legitimate or not.

--
Kevin Keane
Owner

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.