No notifications while restarting any services on remote host

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Tue Apr 14 09:48:19 CEST 2009

2009/4/14 Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
>
> When i restart any services on the remote client For example tomcat
> application server running on port 8080. I dont get any notifications or
> alerts. Just want to understand the technique is it because of the
> normal_check_interval  5 configured in services.cfg and interval_length=60
> defined in nagios.cfg.
>
> Please explain.
>
> Thanks and Regards
>
> Kaushal

With those settings, Nagios will check the service every five minutes.
 If you restart the service in between those checks, Nagios will not
notice.  Even if Nagios does notice, it won't send you a notification
until the specified number of retries specified by max_check_attempts.
 Make sure notifications are enabled, and that you have the correct
notification_options set.  A common error is accidentally to set the
"n" option in notification_options which disables all notifications
for that service.  Another parameter which can have an effect on
whether notifications are sent (new in 3.0 Nagios) is
first_notification_delay.

I assume you are using the check_http plugin, as you haven't said.

If you want to be notified even for very short duration outages,
you're probably best off checking the event log and/or one or more of
the tomcat logs too.

hth,

Jim