Nagios and Cacti

jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com jmoseley at corp.xanadoo.com
Wed Apr 8 21:45:42 CEST 2009

I agree with Daniel's post below.  We have Nagios and Cacti running on the
same system; Nagios monitors 691 hosts and 1800 services while Cacti is
pulling stats for about the same number of hosts, but something like 3200
data sources.  They run on a dual Xeon 2.8 Ghz box with only 2 Gb or RAM
(no swapping going on).  Average load is about 1.5 and peaks at 3 about 3-4
times a day.
The key is that mysql operations are on a dedicated box with 15k SCSI
drives and RAID 10.

James Moseley

             Daniel Emmanuel
             Feinsmith
             <daniel at danielemm                                          To
             anuelfeinsmith.co         "nccomp at gmail.com"
             m>                        <nccomp at gmail.com>
                                                                        cc
             04/08/2009 10:36          Nagios Users
             AM                        <Nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net

                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: [Nagios-users] Nagios and Cacti

If you move your mysql instance to another server, you can get much better
performance on a nagios/cacti server. Check top while cacti is running a
large install and you will see that mysql is hoarding CPU and memory
resources not leaving much for nagios.

Daniel Feinsmith
{sent from iPhone}