Notifications

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Mon Apr 6 18:49:41 CEST 2009

On Apr 6, 2009, at 11:39 AM, Grant Lowe wrote:

> Yes, that seems like the problem. But the way nagios is setup, I
> don't think I understand its setup.  I see in my templates a host
> definition that has these lines:
>
> name          solaris-servers
> hostgroups              solaris-server

Any host using this template is added to the group 'solaris-servers'.

> In the hosts.cfg, services.cfg, and hostgroups file, this definition:
>
> hostgroup_name          solaris-servers
> alias                   solaris-servers

For what definitions? This would only make sense for hostgroup
definitions and is just creating the hostgroup container used by the
host template above.

> It looks the problem is there.  But I'm not sure why.  Please help
> me out.  Thanks, Marc.

>> define service{
>> use                             generic-service
>> host_name
>> server1,server2,server3,server4,server5,server6,server7,server8
>> hostgroup_name                  solaris-servers
>> service_description             Secure Shell
>> check_command                   check_ssh
>> max_check_attempts              5
>> notification_interval           60
>> check_period                    24x7
>> notification_options            w,u,c,r,f,s
>> contacts                              glowe
>> }

It's actually a combination. The service definition above says it
should be applied to specific hosts (host_name line) *and* all hosts
in the hostgroup 'solaris-servers' (hostgroup_name). Since the hosts
are put into the solaris-servers hostgroup courtesy of their use of
the template that says they should be, this service is applied to them.

If you don't want to apply this service to those devices, remove them
from the solaris-servers hostgroup _or_ remove the hostgroup_name line
in the service definition and specify the individual host_names that
the service _should_ apply to.

--
Marc