Essential parameter to a big network with big problems

renatokrause at gmail.com renatokrause at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 00:46:21 CEST 2009

Good night,

   Today in the afternoon launched a thread on this list with the title: Each switch in the .cfg file. Was great pressure at work and just jumping some steps that I want to correct now.
   My name is Renato Krause and I have 26 years. I live in Porto Alegre, Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil. My English is not very good then I would like to apologize for my words.
I work for the government of the state, more specific in public coffers. My expertise is in information technology development but recently I have worked in multi-sector IT body.
My current job is working on top of several faults that are occurring in the network. The state of our network is chaotic.
   I imagine that the first step that I take is to examine the current situation. After some research began by installing the Nagios packages .deb. Use a little and by the plugin that feeds data from the log files of the MRTG, noticed that is a great tool that can produce excellent results with the addition of your Nagios plugin for snmp. Now i using a nagios build from source like a manual.
   In this difficult task with two colleagues tale. Our network has about 2,000 desktop computers and covers our state has about 282,062 square kilometers. Our capital has two buildings side by side with most of the equipment. Each building has a backbone connected to a Extreme switch along with the servers. Each of the two backbone distributes the network to other switchs responsible for each floor. Unfortunately my knowledge in networks are not very detailed. I Watched: ifInError, ifOutError, ifInDiscard, ifOutDiscard addition to other services standards posted on the Nagios manual.
   The intention of my post is whether anyone in this list can help me with some idea about what parameters do I track to begin to identify or eliminate the problems in our network. Currently the switchs has stopped responding and often do not last seconds running when reset. These switchs the times spend hours working well. In view the current event has been somewhat random.

Now thanks to a big, warm hug to all.

Renato Krause