NRPE Issue

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Apr 2 23:55:01 CEST 2009

On Apr 2, 2009, at 3:25 PM, Steve Shepherd wrote:

> I'm trying to configure a service check via NRPE and having some
> difficulty.
>
> From the monitoring server, I can successfully execute NRPE via CLI:
>
> [root at mon01 etc]# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_nrpe -H
> 10.140.122.51 -c check_prov
> FILE_AGE OK: /var/log/prov.log is 4 seconds old and 8033817 bytes
>
> All my hosts are in /usr/local/nagios/etc/hosts, with service_checks
> defined in them.  I defined this NRPE check as:
>
> define service{

> [snip]

>         check_command               check_nrpe!check_prov
> }

> # 'check_ccprov' command definition
> define command{
>         command_name    check_prov
>         command_line    $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS -c
> check_prov
>         }
>
> Nagios is giving me an error:
>
> Checking services...
> Error: Service check command 'check_nrpe' specified in service
> 'check_ccprov' for host 'servername.serverdomain' not defined
> anywhere!
>
> But it is defined?!

No, you defined the command 'check_prov', not 'check_nrpe'. Nagios is
correctly telling you that there is no command{} definition with a
command_name of check_nrpe.

> From the documentation the check_command should be "check_nrpe!
> $service" within service definition?

You're mixing a few things seemingly without really understanding how
they go together.

A service{} definition with a check_command of 'check_nrpe!check_prov'
will look for a command{} definition named 'check_nrpe' and expect to
pass to it a $ARG1$ of 'check_prov' --

define command{
         command_name    check_nrpe
         command_line    $USER1$/check_nrpe -H $HOSTADDRESS -c $ARG1$
         }

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/objectdefinitions.html#command
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/macros.html - Example 2

Nagios will interpret the above command_line and execute '/path/to/
plugins/check_nrpe -H <address from host{} definition> -c check_prov.

check_nrpe will contact the NRPE daemon running on <address from
host{} definition> and ask it to run the command 'check_prov', which
must be defined in the nrpe.cfg file on that remote host. The results
are automatically returned to nagios by the check_nrpe daemon.

HTH,

--
Marc