Additional Info in email?

RijilV rijilv at riji.lv
Wed Apr 1 17:33:48 CEST 2009

2009/4/1 Andrew Davis <nccomp at gmail.com>:
> Perhaps I need to ask a clarification question... in my checkcommands.cfg,
> should I change $SERVICEOUTPUT$ to $LONGSERVICEOUTPUT$ or should I add the
> $LONGSERVICEOUTPUT$ macro to the notify-service-by-email command? I'm
> thinking that some tests will write some data to $SERVICEOUTPUT$, but others
> can include additional info with $LONGSERVICEOUTPUT$, so rather than change
> $SERVICEOUTPUT$ to $LONGSERVICEOUTPUT$, I should add it? Perhaps something
> like this:
>
> Before:
> ~\n\nAdditional Info:\n\n$SERVICEOUTPUT$
>
> After:
> ~\n\nInfo:\n\n$SERVICEOUTPUT$\n\nAdditional Info:\n\n$LONGSERVICEOUTPUT$
>
>   A. Davis
>   Email:     nccomp at gmail.com

So, one of the great things about Nagios, IMHO, is it's documentation.
 Check out:

http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/macrolist.html#serviceoutput

In particular:

$SERVICEOUTPUT$ 	The first line of text output from the last service
check (i.e. "Ping OK").
$LONGSERVICEOUTPUT$ 	The full text output (aside from the first line)
from the last service check.