Using nagios for multiple data centers

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Apr 1 15:49:08 CEST 2009

On Mar 31, 2009, at 6:25 PM, Matthew Litwin wrote:

> On 3/31/09 3:01 PM, "Marc Powell" <marc at ena.com> wrote:

> Marc, thanks for the suggestion. While the role contacts is
> certainly useful
> as you described, I don't necessarily want to permanently limit
> users to not
> seeing hosts at all.

It's not permanent; they would just need to log in with a username
associated with the view they want to see. This presumes your original
scenario where an entire data center is either active or passive.

> Another way to think about what I am looking for is that I want to
> have a
> way to designate servers to be either "active" or "standby" servers.
> All
> servers have full monitoring set up but only "active" servers will
> appear in
> the "active" servers' alerts view that the NOC sees. I want to
> create some
> organizational objects that I can easily send as arguments to the
> CGIs to
> create some some set alert views.

There's no way to do this natively that I know of, outside of
recreating the cfg files dynamically and reloading. Perhaps I'm not
thinking creatively enough but I just don't see a simple solution. If
nagios is only checking the 'active' servers, or your only submitting
passive results for those servers, those are the only ones that should
show up in the Service Problems view, of course. You can send external
commands to enable/disable active checks for specific hosts and
services dynamically. That doesn't seem to entirely fit what you want
though...

--
Marc