sendmail setup and exchange

Izz Abdullah izz_abdullah at inbox.com
Thu Sep 25 11:27:03 CEST 2008

I know this is more of a linux question than a Nagios question, but I need to setup our Nagios server to bounce emails off our Exchange server.
1. I know I need to point sendmail to the IP / hostname of the Exchange server
2. I know I need to authorize the Nagios server on the Exchange server (with what though, just MX records)
3. What more needs to be done so that I can receive notifications?

Please excuse my ignorance.

Nagios 3.0.1 and Exchange 2007 both behind the same proxy server requiring authentication, so I don't think bouncing from gmail, yahoo, or inbox.com will work (someone please correct me if I am wrong here).

Thanks in advance for the help!
-Izz