check_by_ssh - getting errors in logs

Charlie Reddington charlie.reddington at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 18:59:23 CEST 2008

Hi all,

I have nagios working pretty good, it's checking all i want over ssh.
But ever since I have set up nagios over ssh, I keep getting the
following in my logs.....

authpriv crit sshd[8939]: fatal: Read from socket failed: Connection
reset by peer

I've checked the load / iowait of the servers in question and they all
seem to be good. So I don't think they are loaded down when this
happens.

I also checked the versions of ssh to see if it was a particular
version of openssh complaining but it seems pretty wide spread across
our versions which are openssh 3.9p1 - 4.5.

I also am using forced commands per host, and I added '&& exit&'
thinking that maybe the connection wasn't exiting cleanly.

Anyone have any idea's what else I can do to eliminate these errors?
They seem somewhat intermittent, but I'm getting notices about every
20 minutes that a server is seeing this.

Thanks,

CHarlie