Nagios 3 structure

Paul Weaver paul.weaver at bbc.co.uk
Thu Sep 11 09:35:51 CEST 2008

I would suggest putting your nagios configuration into subversion. Initially you can see who makes changes, and roll back any you don't like. You could then move to adding hooks in to check the config before hand.

Perl scripts are all you need for batch updates (like adding n number of hosts to a new service group, which I started doing a couple of days ago)

Our (nagios 2) layout is a little like this:

./etc/nagios.cfg
 inherits commands.cfg (all commands)
 inherits time.cfg (all time periods)
 inherits template.cfg (default template -- hourly notification, 24/7 checks, 4 minute checks, 30 second retrys)
 inheirts directories
  contacts
  system-infrastructure (routers, dns, etc)
  system-system1
  system-system2
  system-system3

Each of those has their own templates, which overrides things like contact details, and sub directories based on the system (so system-foo contains components "midtier", "database", "media", etc)

Each directory eventually has a single file (usually hostname.cfg) for each host, containing host definition and services.

E.g.
./system-live/template_live.cfg
./system-live/quantel/template_live_quantel.cfg
./system-live/quantel/bidir1.cfg
./system-live/quantel/clipcache06.cfg
./system-live/quantel/clipcache01.cfg
./system-live/midtier/template_live_midtier.cfg
./system-live/midtier/newsjtcapp02.cfg
./system-live/midtier/newsjtcapp23.cfg
./system-live/midtier/newsjtcapp11.cfg
./system-live/other/template_live_other.cfg
./system-live/other/newsjtcmpp26.cfg
./system-live/other/newsjtcvtr01.cfg
./system-live/other/newsjtcmpp16.cfg
./system-live/other/newsjtccodec04.cfg