how can i monitor a application using nagios

Marcel webknowledge at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 21:21:18 CEST 2008

Hey there, just a thought,

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 1:37 PM, localyee <localyee at gmail.com> wrote:

>  i can monitor the server of a host,as HTTP,FTP...
> and how can i monitor an application the the host using nagios,
> what i want is to check if the application is running well-balanced or not

IF by 'well-balanced' you meant that you have a farm of servers which
receives or is stablishing connections through some kind of SLB or CSM
switches even VLS, then you could write a script that would verify the
number of stablished connections per service, and then comparing the number
of connections to prove your balancing algorithm choice is doing what is
supposed to do.

But, why not just test if the service is up by the virtual ip address, and
then setup a check to every host that is responding within the farm to
pin-point the problematic host without checking the balancing algorithm?

Well, I still am trying to understand what you meant by 'well balanced'.

HTH,