how to monitor crond service

Heiko rupertt at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 11:19:49 CEST 2008

On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 9:38 AM, Voigt, Thomas <Thomas.Voigt at netkom.de> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Shankar Asam wrote:
>> I've few of HP UX and Linux boxes that were monitored by Nagios. for the
>> past few days, I've observed that cron service on HP UX keeps shutting down
>> and I need to manually restart cron  service. Is there any way through
>> nagios we can monitor cron service on HP UX or Linux boxes so I can login
>> before no one compliance and restart the service?
> You may install Net-SNMP (former UCD-SNMP) and put a line like "proc cron"
> in /etc/snmpd.conf.
>
> Create a checkcommand "check_netsnmp_proc" in Nagios which executes
> "$USER1$/check_netsnmp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C $ARG1$ -o proc".
> Then create a service for this host in Nagios, which checks with the above
> checkcommand all the running processes on this host.

Hello,

i was just testing this, can it be that we have to define the "cron" somehow?
A test gives me the following:

./check_snmp -H 172.19.21.151 -P 2c -C public -o proc

SNMP OK - No Such Object available on this agent at this OID |
HOST-RESOURCES-MIB::hrProcessorTable=No Such Object available on this
agent at this OID

I added "proc cron" into the snmp.conf and restartet the daemon.

Am I missing soemthing'?

greetings

Rupertt