how to monitor crond service

Voigt, Thomas Thomas.Voigt at netkom.de
Fri Sep 5 09:38:35 CEST 2008

Hi all,

Shankar Asam wrote:
> I've few of HP UX and Linux boxes that were monitored by Nagios. for the past few days, I've observed that cron service on HP UX keeps shutting down and I need to manually restart cron  service. Is there any way through nagios we can monitor cron service on HP UX or Linux boxes so I can login before no one compliance and restart the service?
You may install Net-SNMP (former UCD-SNMP) and put a line like "proc cron" in /etc/snmpd.conf.

Create a checkcommand "check_netsnmp_proc" in Nagios which executes "$USER1$/check_netsnmp -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -C $ARG1$ -o proc".
Then create a service for this host in Nagios, which checks with the above checkcommand all the running processes on this host.

If you like you can put some more proc... lines into snmpd.conf and check for more than one process.

--
Greetings from Weimar / Germany

Thomas Voigt