Service Escalations

Robert Small rsmall at ireit.com
Thu Sep 4 21:26:04 CEST 2008

Ok, I¹ve manage to thoroughly confuse my self with service escalations.

Here is an example of my configs:

   --service_definitation:

define service{
        use                                       generic-service
        host_name                         box1,box2
        service_description          disk_space
        check_command               check_nrpe!check_disks
        contact_groups
oncall,developers,backup,tech-team,management
        notifications_enabled       1
        }

My escalations config:

define serviceescalation{
        host_name                       box1,box2
        service_description        disk_space
        first_notification             1
        last_notification              10
        notification_interval       4
        contact_groups                oncall
        }

define serviceescalation{
        host_name                        box1,box2
        service_description         disk_space
        first_notification             11
        last_notification              20
        notification_interval       4
        contact_groups              oncall,backup
        }

define serviceescalation{
        host_name                      box1,box2
        service_description       disk_space
        first_notification            21
        last_notification             30
        notification_interval      4
        contact_groups              oncall,backup,tech-team
        }

define serviceescalation{
        host_name                      box1,box2
        service_description       disk_space
        first_notification             31
        last_notification
        notification_interval       4
        contact_groups               oncall,backup,tech-team,management
        }

My first question:
There have been two times in the past 24 hours when a service went down, and
within a minute was acknowledged, and everybody got the acknowledgement, not
just the oncall person.

And secondly,  if I added and Œeveryone¹ to my service Œcontact_groups¹, and
utilized the time_period option in the escalations config for after hours,
would everyone get the notification during the day?

Thanks!

Robert