Host checks after a change in service state

Ian Masters ian at acces.co.jp
Fri Oct 31 02:26:36 CET 2008

Hello,

I have check_interval option in several of my host definitions to zero.

If there is a change of state in 1 of the services on 1 of those hosts
(e.g. the HTTP service goes down/comes back up), will Nagios check the
host's status automatically or does that check have to be run manually?

I read http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/3_0/hostchecks.html but I'm
still not sure.

"On-demand checks are made when a service associated with the host
changes state because Nagios needs to know whether the host has also
changed state."

The above sentence seems to be saying that Nagios *does* automatically
check the host after the service state changes.

I tried to test this yesterday and it seems that Nagios did not check
the host after it's service state changed.

Am I misunderstanding the documentation or are my settings lacking
something?

Thanks

Ian Masters

--
Nagios 3.0.3 (with plugins v1.4.13) on CentOS 5.2