[Nagiosplug-help] Host monitoring

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Oct 28 00:32:33 CET 2008

On Oct 27, 2008, at 3:42 PM, Grant Lowe wrote:

> Hi Mark,
>
> Still receiving the notifications and still can't explain it.
> Here's the data you asked for.
>
> First the host definition.
>
> define host {
> host_name                         blarney
> alias                             blarney
> display_name                      Blarney
> address                           172.20.8.215
> hostgroups                        solaris-servers
> check_command                     check-host-alive
> initial_state                     o
> max_check_attempts                5
> check_interval                    3
> retry_interval                    3600
> active_checks_enabled             0
> passive_checks_enabled            1
> check_period                      24x7
> obsess_over_host                  0
> check_freshness                   0
> event_handler_enabled             0
> flap_detection_enabled            0
> flap_detection_options            o,d,u
> process_perf_data                 1
> retain_status_information         1
> retain_nonstatus_information      0
> contacts                          glowe
> notification_interval             300

^^^^^^^^^
{chop}

> define service{
> host_name                       blarney
> hostgroup_name                  solaris-servers
> service_description             Check Remote Zombie Processes
> check_command                   check_nrpe!check_zombie_procs
> max_check_attempts              5
> notification_interval           60

^^^^^^^^^^
{chop}

> Here are the logs for today:

> [1225115861] SERVICE NOTIFICATION: glowe;blarney;Check Remote Zombie
> Processes;CRITICAL;notify-host-by-email;PROCS CRITICAL: 29 processes
> with STATE = Z
> [1225119461] SERVICE NOTIFICATION: glowe;blarney;Check Remote Zombie
> Processes;CRITICAL;notify-host-by-email;PROCS CRITICAL: 43 processes
> with STATE = Z

Notifications every 3600 seconds (60 minutes). I believe this is what
you're looking for--

notification_interval: 	This directive is used to define the number of
"time units" to wait before re-notifying a contact that this service
is still down or unreachable. Unless you've changed the
interval_length directive from the default value of 60, this number
will mean minutes. If you set this value to 0, Nagios will not re-
notify contacts about problems for this host - only one problem
notification will be sent out.

--
Marc