Nagios notifications

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Oct 23 13:21:04 CEST 2008

Please don't top-post. It makes my teeth itch.

Phillips, Dustin B wrote:
> Right.  I understand that would "fix" our problem.
>
> So you're saying we'll need to create services that have the same
> check command but unique hosts and contactgroups?

With Nagios 2, yes.

>  We have 40
> services and 8 contact groups.  Each contact group is only
> responsible for a portion of the hosts.  Surely there is a better way
> to achieve this in lieu of creating 320 services.

Use Nagios 3 and omit the contact_groups directive in your services.
Assuming you want all service-notifications to always go to the contacts
defined for the host to which the services are attached, that will do
exactly what you want.

For more complex cases, you really do need to specify separate services
although only for the services affected by such complex circumstances.

Read the manual for more details.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se