check_fping timing

hiren hir3npatel at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 00:21:50 CEST 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 10:03 -0400, Michael W. Lucas wrote:
> Hi,
>
> At times, latency rises on my network.  I'm trying to give check_fping
> a high timeout, 10 seconds to warn and 12 for critical.  It seems that
> check_fping returns too quickly, however.  Here, I've cranked up the
> warn and critical levels to an absurd level for illustration purposes,
> and timed the process.
>
> # /usr/bin/time ./check_fping -H roxsw001 -w 1000000.0,80% -c 12000000.0,100% -b 56
> FPING CRITICAL - roxsw001 (loss=100% )|loss=100%;80;100;0;100
>         0.51 real         0.00 user         0.00 sys
>
> The check returns in half a second.  Obviously, my timeout isn't working.
>
> Any thoughts on why this is, or what I can do?  Surely someone else is
> checking hosts on an intermittently slow network?

seems like the values passed to -w and -c are round trip times that the
check uses to gauge on. it isn't passing those values to fping when it
runs fping. all it seems to pass is packet size, packet count and
server.
perhaps paste the results after running in verbose mode.
if fping accepts a timeout, perhaps the check should be passing that to
fping.

the version of check_fping I'm looking at is:
nagios-plugins-trunk-200809161200