check_fping timing

Michael W. Lucas mwlucas at blackhelicopters.org
Thu Oct 16 16:03:34 CEST 2008

Hi,

At times, latency rises on my network.  I'm trying to give check_fping
a high timeout, 10 seconds to warn and 12 for critical.  It seems that
check_fping returns too quickly, however.  Here, I've cranked up the
warn and critical levels to an absurd level for illustration purposes,
and timed the process.

# /usr/bin/time ./check_fping -H roxsw001 -w 1000000.0,80% -c 12000000.0,100% -b 56
FPING CRITICAL - roxsw001 (loss=100% )|loss=100%;80;100;0;100
        0.51 real         0.00 user         0.00 sys

The check returns in half a second.  Obviously, my timeout isn't working.

Any thoughts on why this is, or what I can do?  Surely someone else is
checking hosts on an intermittently slow network?

Thanks,
==ml

--
Michael W. Lucas 	mwlucas at BlackHelicopters.org, mwlucas at FreeBSD.org
"My pessimism extends to the point of even suspecting the sincerity of