email notifications not working

jeremiah jeremiah.jester at panasonic.aero
Fri Oct 17 18:26:16 CEST 2008

Hi Patrick,

See below for answers. Puzzling.

> There are several important pieces missing here:
>
> 1. Does your Nagios log show that notifications are being sent? Look
for
> "NOTIFICATION" in your Nagios log. If it's not there, you've got a
> configuration issue and you have not configured Nagios to notify when
> that service goes critical.

Yes, i have several notifications being logged in nagios:

Service Notification[2008-10-17 15:49:16] SERVICE NOTIFICATION:
root;(servername);LOAD-SCRIPT;CRITICAL;notify-by-email;Connection
refused

> 2. Have you assigned your "admins" contact group to the service you're
> not getting notifications for?

Yes, "admins" is sepcified in the service:

contact_groups                  admins

> 3. Does your mail log show anything regarding the notifications, and
> whether they were successfully or unsuccessfully relayed?

Here's what I'm seeing in my mail logs (exim):

2008-10-17 16:19:18 1Kqs2m-0000TH-3t <= <> U=Debian-exim P=local S=940
2008-10-17 16:19:18 1Kqs2m-0000TH-3t => nagios <servername> R=local_user
T=mail_spool
2008-10-17 16:19:18 1Kqs2m-0000TH-3t Completed

BTW, I'm using exim not send mail so my command for sending mail looks
like this:

define command{
        command_name    notify-by-email
        command_line    /usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios *****\n\n
        Notification Type: $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\n\nService: $SERVICEDESC
$\n
        Host: $HOSTALIAS$\nAddress: $HOSTADDRESS$\nState: $SERVICESTATE
$\n\n
        Date/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n\n
        Additional Info:\n\n$SERVICEOUTPUT$" | /usr/sbin/exim "**
$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$ alert - $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$
**" $CONTACTEMAIL$
        }

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 17:39 -0700, Patrick Morris wrote:
> Hi jeremiah!
>
> On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, jeremiah wrote:
>
> > It doesn't appear that nagios v2 is sending email notifications to
> upon
> > error.
> >
> > Here is what i've checked to troubleshoot the problem and verified
> > config files.
> >
> > Am I missing something??
> >
> > Thanks,
> > JJ
> >
> > ==========
> >
> > !Errors do exists in the log file.
> >
> > ++
> > "LOAD-SCRIPT;CRITICAL;HARD;3;Connection refused"
> > ++
> >
> > !I've enabled notifications in each of my services in services.cfg
> >
> > ++
> > notifications_enabled           1
> > ++
> >
> > !I've set the admin email in nagios.cfg. I've also
> > enabled_notifications=1.
> >
> > ++
> > admin_email = (email hidden)
> > ++
> >
> > !Verified Contacts.cfg is set...
> >
> > ++
> > define contact{
> >      contact_name      root
> >      alias      (my name)
> >      service_notification_period      24x7
> >      host_notification_period      24x7
> >      service_notification_options      w,u,c,r
> >      host_notification_options      d,r
> >      service_notification_commands      notify-by-email
> >      host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-email
> >      email     (my email)
> >      }
> >
> > define contactgroup{
> >         contactgroup_name       admins
> >         alias                   Nagios Administrators
> >         members                 root
> >         }
> > ++
> >
> > !Mail agent on localhost is also running.
> >
> > ++
> > # telnet localhost 25
> > Trying 127.0.0.1...
> > Connected to localhost.
> > Escape character is '^]'.
> > 220 pse02.mascorp.com ESMTP Exim 4.69 Fri, 17 Oct 2008 00:13:58
> +0000
>
> There are several important pieces missing here:
>
> 1. Does your Nagios log show that notifications are being sent? Look
> for
> "NOTIFICATION" in your Nagios log. If it's not there, you've got a
> configuration issue and you have not configured Nagios to notify when
> that service goes critical.
>
> 2. Have you assigned your "admins" contact group to the service you're
> not getting notifications for?
>
> 3. Does your mail log show anything regarding the notifications, and
> whether they were successfully or unsuccessfully relayed?

Disclaimer: The information contained in this transmission, including any
attachments, may contain confidential information of Panasonic Avionics
Corporation.  This transmission is intended only for the use of the
addressee(s) listed above.  Unauthorized review, dissemination or other use
of the information contained in this transmission is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this transmission in error or have reason to believe
you are not authorized to receive it, please notify the sender by return
email and promptly delete the transmission.