email notifications not working

Patrick Morris patrick.morris at hp.com
Fri Oct 17 02:39:08 CEST 2008

Hi jeremiah!

On Fri, 17 Oct 2008, jeremiah wrote:

> It doesn't appear that nagios v2 is sending email notifications to upon
> error.
>
> Here is what i've checked to troubleshoot the problem and verified
> config files.
>
> Am I missing something??
>
> Thanks,
> JJ
>
> ==========
>
> !Errors do exists in the log file.
>
> ++
> "LOAD-SCRIPT;CRITICAL;HARD;3;Connection refused"
> ++
>
> !I've enabled notifications in each of my services in services.cfg
>
> ++
> notifications_enabled           1
> ++
>
> !I've set the admin email in nagios.cfg. I've also
> enabled_notifications=1.
>
> ++
> admin_email = (email hidden)
> ++
>
> !Verified Contacts.cfg is set...
>
> ++
> define contact{
>      contact_name      root
>      alias      (my name)
>      service_notification_period      24x7
>      host_notification_period      24x7
>      service_notification_options      w,u,c,r
>      host_notification_options      d,r
>      service_notification_commands      notify-by-email
>      host_notification_commands      host-notify-by-email
>      email     (my email)
>      }
>
> define contactgroup{
>         contactgroup_name       admins
>         alias                   Nagios Administrators
>         members                 root
>         }
> ++
>
> !Mail agent on localhost is also running.
>
> ++
> # telnet localhost 25
> Trying 127.0.0.1...
> Connected to localhost.
> Escape character is '^]'.
> 220 pse02.mascorp.com ESMTP Exim 4.69 Fri, 17 Oct 2008 00:13:58 +0000

There are several important pieces missing here:

1. Does your Nagios log show that notifications are being sent? Look for
"NOTIFICATION" in your Nagios log. If it's not there, you've got a
configuration issue and you have not configured Nagios to notify when
that service goes critical.

2. Have you assigned your "admins" contact group to the service you're
not getting notifications for?

3. Does your mail log show anything regarding the notifications, and
whether they were successfully or unsuccessfully relayed?